Monday, February 16, 2009

Thoughts on Healing

Recently a student sent me a well intentioned email questioning a comment he overheard some other students make referring to medicine being a crutch for those who don't have the faith to be healed. That led to general questions concerning my and UGA Wesley's overall understanding and approach to healing. Below is the bulk of my response.

...I don't believe medicine is in any way a crutch. I take medication when I need it. I encourage others to, as well. When sick, I receive medication as God's gift. One of my best friends, who has a strong belief in God's healing and often prays for the sick, is a pharmacist. Historically, some of the healing evangelists of the early 1900's, probably because they experienced seasons where they saw God heal a large majority of those they prayed for, taught that the use of medicine was a sign of unbelief. I disagree with that entirely. Two people I have read and respect on the subject of healing are Francis McNutt and John Wimber. Their experience is that sometimes God heals supernaturally. At other times, He heals through medication and prayer (where God's response to prayer makes the medication more effective than it otherwise would have been). Sometimes a healing is partial - there is improvement - but not a complete healing. And at other times no discernible healing takes place. So while UGA Wesley affirms the power and efficacy of healing prayer - we also acknowledge that there is a mystery to healing that is beyond our full understanding.

With regard to our theology of healing, as in all things, I look to Jesus. He is God. As such, His heart is identical to that of the Father. The gospels indicate that Jesus healed everyone who came to Him. And He sent His disciples out to do the same things He had been doing (Mt10). Never once did Jesus say, "I'm not going to heal this because this sickness is from God and He's using it to make you a better person." I know God didn't deliver Paul from the thorn in his side. But the text in no way implies Paul was struggling with a sickness. Scripture leads me to believe sickness originated in the fall and is the work of the enemy. It also teaches that Jesus' heart was to heal the sickness that was brought to Him and that Jesus is the same forever - He never changes.

I don't really have a good explanation as to why we don't experience more healing. I simply try to be grateful for all that God does do - believing it to be an expression of His love and grace. But looking to Jesus' example, I always pray believing that He would heal whatever it is we're praying for if He were physically here with us - because that's what He did when He walked the earth. I praise God when we experience His healing and I trust Him when we do not.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post Bob. If you don't mind, I might link it to my own for people to read.

    ReplyDelete