Thursday, July 9, 2009

Jerusalem

Earlier this week, I walked the Via Dolorosa. The next day, I touched the spot in the Bethlehem cave where many believe Jesus was born. Yesterday, I sat with my feet in Elijah's Springs, within 100 yards of the ruins of the ancient walls of Jericho. Today, I looked upon what I'm convinced is Golgotha and about 200 feet away entered what perfectly fits the biblical description of the empty tomb. (We won't dwell on the fact that the actual location of the cross is covered over with the asphalt of a Palestani bus station parking lot).
It was all much more than a little surreal. I actually stood in what in all likelihood is the exact spot where Peter stood when he burst into the empty tomb on Easter morning. Outside, I stood where I would have heard the Risen Lord's first word 'Mary' - had only I been there two millenium ago (I could have even gotten to her first and said, 'Psst you might want to look a little more closely at the One over there. Check out His eyes. I believe you'll feel better.)
It all was suddenly very real. I'm not one who believes we're any nearer to God in Jerusalem than in Athens. But, there's no denying I felt several worlds away from Lumpkin Street.
As I sat there trying to take it all in, the thought occurred to me that I don't need to come to Jerusalem to encounter the Lord Jesus. He is, after all, Risen. He is alive and through His Spirit has been poured out for all people of every place. Jesus can be encountered by anyone, anywhere, whose heart burns to know the living God.
I doubt I will ever forget what I experienced this morning. But I hope I take full advantage of the promise He reminded me of - no matter where I am, He will never be further from me than He was this morning in the tomb when I stood on one of the world's holiest spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment