Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Learning To Feed Ourselves

One of the critiques of America’s welfare system is that it has created a new dependent class. Rather than standing in the gap to help people through a crisis, it is accused of having caused many to lose all initiative to provide for themselves. Many now see themselves as being wards of the state, entirely dependent upon the federal government for their well being.

I was watching Clay feed Fields (he's 9 months old) earlier today. Fields is totally dependent on Clay and Deborah for everything he eats. To put a spiritual spin to this, one of the most common statements I hear from people is, "I’m looking for a place where I can be fed.” I really don’t have a problem with that. When I gave up preaching on Sunday mornings to come to UGA Wesley, my wife and I brought that same mentality into our search for a church. But, I am concerned whenever I encounter the mindset that, as believers, we are dependent upon others to feed us. God never intended us to be spiritual 9 month olds.

Ps119:15 says, “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.” Notice the pronoun “I”. Verse 105 adds, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Again, the psalmist speaks in the first person. God has set apart some to be pastors and teachers, to help explain and apply His Word to others. But never has it been God’s intent that we would be completely dependent on others for our knowledge of Him.

Believers need to learn how to feed themselves - and that includes college students and those young in their faith. What I receive on a Sunday morning can never substitute for what God speaks to me as I pursue Him on my own. I’ve yet to meet a mature Christian who hasn’t learned to feed for himself on the Word of God.

Many students, who have learned to walk with the Lord during their time on campus, dread summer. They fear going home to old friends and old ways. They are unhappy with the prospect of losing the worship and teaching to which they’ve become accustomed. But in Ro8, Paul assures us that, “God works through all things for the good of those who love Him…” A season in which there is no one to feed us can force us, if we will take advantage of it, to get into the Word for ourselves. In the absence of a shepherd, we can learn to feed and grow and fend for ourselves.

I always want every student to have relationships with other believers for encouragement and accountability. And likewise, I hope each one will always have available a worship setting that leaves them inspired. But even when these things are hard to find, summer can still be a time of tremendous growth. The one who has learned to feed himself has often learned the most valuable lesson of all.

Most of us would never passively sit back and leave our physical provision to another. Why would we do any different when it comes to our spiritual well being?

No comments:

Post a Comment